|About the Study||Antrobus is situated in north Cheshire, seven miles south of Warrington and five miles north of Northwich. The village centre lies just over a quarter of a mile from the old Roman road (King Street) that connected the two towns.
It is a large parish with 33 roads and lanes that extend for some 36 miles criss-crossing an area of 4,145 acres of fertile agricultural land. Unlike the two local villages (both one name studies) of Whitley or Stretton, there was no obvious village centre until the first half of the 19th Century. Instead, Antrobus was a village scattered across the entire parish in farmsteads and remote cottages.
Antrobus is known locally for its community spirit with keen volunteers managing a local shop and café, as well as running the village hall. There is a strong local interest in the history of the village where many of the farming families have lived for generations. In 2017 a small group of villagers created a two day history event (The History of Antrobus in 10 Objects) and in 2018 a three day commemoration of local boy Dambuster John Wilkinson was held to raise awareness and funds for the RAF Benevolent Fund.
|Population||In 1841 the population was 810, today it is just under 800 – however township boundary changes make it difficult to make true comparisons.|