|Study Area||The Crescent, Taunton|
|About the Study||The Crescent is a street in Taunton, a town in the English county of Somerset.
Construction began in 1807, during a period of extensive redevelopment in the town, driven by the Market House Society and the Member of Parliament, Sir Benjamin Hammet. The Crescent formed part of Hammet's plan for Taunton. It was built to the north of Upper High Street, in what was known at the time as Paul's Field. Although Hammet died in 1800, the foundation stone was placed in 1807 by William Kinglake.
Lined on the eastern side by a Georgian terrace, the street follows a shallow crescent shape, broken in the middle by Crescent Way and a bit further south by St George's Place. It links Upper High Street, at its southern end, with Park Street and Tower Street to the north. On the western side, Somerset County Council have their offices in the County Hall, erected in 1935, and extended in the 1960's.
In 1822, a Catholic chapel, known as St George's Chapel, was built at the southern-end of the terrace, the first Catholic church built in Taunton since the Reformation. The Catholic congregation moved out to a larger church in 1878 and the chapel was bought by the Freemasons, who converted it into a Masonic Lodge.
Today, all of the Crescent is resident to various businesses, ranging from Dentists & Estate Agents to Recruitment Agencies and Charity offices.
|Population||99 in 1911|