Contact Us
By email:
info@one-place-studies.org
By post:
Society for One-Place Studies,
7 Edge Lane,
Rossendale,
Lancashire
BB4 7SS
United Kingdom
Gilcrux (Gil-cruise) is a small village and parish in West Cumbria. Norse farmers settled nearby in the ninth century, and the village church, St Mary’s, holds fragments of a tenth-century cross. In the main, Gilcrux is a linear, Y-shaped settlement of high medieval origin.
I began outdoors with biodiversity surveys, then moved to the graveyard at St Mary’s and the names cut into headstones. The study now gathers census data, archive records and family histories into an online archive I am developing myself. My research has inspired an ecological memoir, now in progress, and, pending funding, a PhD with the working title Facilitating a Community Archive through Creative and Curatorial Practice.
The parish sits inland from the Solway Coast — five miles east by north of Maryport and five miles north of Cockermouth — between two protected landscapes: the Lake District, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the Solway Coast, a National Landscape.
Gilcrux stands outside the National Park boundary, on the edge of the Solway Plain. The plain opens to the north, while the Northern Fells rise to the south. Since 2023 Cumbria has been governed by two unitary authorities, here Cumberland Council; before 1974 this land lay in Cumberland. From the village we see the Solway Firth, and across it the Scottish hills of Dumfries and Galloway. Criffel stands clear. Some say it mirrors the Lakeland fell Skiddaw, an idea handed down in an old proverb of fellow feeling across the border (Donaldson and Taylor, 2021).
The landscape is lowland country of the sub-type 5a Ridge and Valley, a landscape “found mainly on carboniferous rocks overlain by extensive glacial till … The Ellen Valley forms a distinctive feature” (Wain, 2011, p. 67).
Here we have farms, pasture, pockets of woodland, hedgerows and stone walls. The River Ellen, which bounds the parish to the north, rises in the Skiddaw massif and gives its name to Allerdale, the dale of the Ellen, the borough which governed the parish until 2023. Becks and dykes run throughout, among them Threepy Beck and Leathersgill Beck.
Almost all the village is a row of medieval tofts and crofts along each side of the road. At the east end stand St Mary’s and the green, opposite Church Field, where archaeologists believe a substantial building once stood: a manor house or monastic dwelling, with a tithe barn close by. Some of the land still carries ridge and furrow, the shadow of medieval strip fields.
“Everywhere in the parish you will find water coming from natural springs … In a field a little to the east of the village are two springs, one of them sending forth fresh, the other salt water … the latter possesses medicinal properties, and is denominated ‘Funny Tack'” (Maryport Advertiser, 19 May 1882).
Good water made a good place to settle.
The 2021 Census put the population at 309. I estimate recent and near-complete housing will lift it to around 360.
The Protestation Return of 1641–42, which required every man over eighteen to swear an oath of allegiance, names fifty-eight adult men (Protestation Return for Gilcrux, 1642). Allowing the usual multiplier for women and children, the population then stood between 170 and 230.
Roman Alauna lay to the west at Maryport, and Derventio to the south near Cockermouth. In 2024 archaeologists uncovered what may be the largest late Viking-age hall yet found in Britain, at High Tarns Farm near Silloth, about ten miles away (Grampus Heritage and Training Ltd, 2025). Carbon dating placed a timber at the site between AD 990 and 1040.
The Register of the Priory of St Bees records that Waltheof, son of Gospatric, granted the manor of Gilcrux, with Uldale, to Adam, son of Liulf, in the late eleventh or early twelfth century. Adam was not a Norman but belonged to the established Cumbrian landowners, whom the new rulers found it easier to work with than to displace.
The twelfth century drew two Cistercian houses into the parish. Calder Abbey, founded in 1134, lies about twenty-five miles south. Holm Cultram, founded in 1150 on land given by Alan of Allerdale (Waltheof’s son), grew into the largest monastery in Cumberland. Both came to hold land at Gilcrux. Between about 1160 and 1170 Beatrice de Molle received five bovates here, with a quarter share of the mill, and gave them to Calder Abbey for the good of her soul. In the 1240s William d’Orm d’Ireby, rector of the parish, gave Holm Cultram his house in the village, with its gardens, orchards and arable land. Part of that ground lay, a charter says, under the Tower of Laurence (Gerry Martin Associates Ltd, 2011).
A 2011 evaluation found substantial medieval stone foundations opposite the church, at what could have been the highest point in the village. The report judged the plan to have pretensions to a tower and tied it to the Holm Cultram records. The dedication may point to St Lawrence, a saint the Cistercians held dear.
Calder Abbey held the patronage of the church, and by 1262 its claim on the revenues left too little to maintain a priest. The Bishop of Carlisle stepped in. At Rose Castle, after the death of the rector Robert of Crofton, he set out a formal division of the income, the ordination of the vicarage. The grain tithes went to the abbey, a fixed portion to the vicar who served the people (Ordination of the vicarage of Gilcrux, 1262).
The Scottish Wars of 1296 to 1323 fell hard here. Raiding parties moved through Cumberland, burning what would burn. The church’s recorded value collapsed from £2 6s 8d in 1291 to ten shillings by 1318. Recovery followed, and the medieval gravestones reused in the church fabric belong to those years of rebuilding (Price, 2001).
The Crown dissolved Calder Abbey in February 1536 and seized its rights in Gilcrux. The manor passed through local gentry before reaching the Dykes of Warthole Hall, who I believe still possess certain manorial rights in the village. The family motto, “Rather break than bend,” is said to recall an ancestor who hid in a mulberry tree after the battle of Marston Moor in 1644 and was later imprisoned in Cockermouth Castle. The line includes the heiress Mary Dykes, who inherited Dovenby Hall at twenty-one and, in January 1800, married her cousin Joseph Ballantine Dykes.
The seventeenth century is well lit by record. The village kept its medieval open fields and common ground, for instance at Haggs and Moorfield, enclosed in stages between the late seventeenth and early nineteenth centuries. In the nineteenth century the railway reached the district, and the parish entered the industrial age while keeping farming at its heart.
Arable farming was the backbone for most of the parish’s history. The tithe maps and more than one mill point to a community large enough to need them. The Cistercian granges added another layer. A grange was a monastic farm, worked by lay brothers and hired hands, its yield sent back to the abbey, wool above all. Grange Farm, at the parish’s east end, still carries the name.
The parish worked coal early. An agreement of 1673 required Robert Bewley to haul six loads of coal from the village, or three from the next pit if the village had none. By the nineteenth century the trade had grown. Colliery managers leased the house called Brookwell from the 1830s, and colliery owners, Williamson Peile and William Quayle, leased mining rights in the parish. The Maryport and Carlisle Railway carried the region’s coal and drew local men into its workshops.
The church terrier of 1749 (Terrier, 1749) sets out the rural economy in fine detail. Signed by the vicar William Walker, the churchwardens and the chief inhabitants, it records customary dues known as the White Book Tithes: threepence for a milch cow and her calf, twopence for a fallow cow, a penny for a “shy-milked” cow giving little milk, twopence for each foal, twopence for every swarm of bees, a penny for every plough. Hemp and flax garths, where families grew the raw material for linen and rope, paid twopence a year. Every household gave eggs at Easter, and paid wool, lamb, geese and pigs in kind. The burial fee was tenpence for an adult and sixpence for an infant.
St Mary’s dates from between about 980 and 1100. The nave and chancel came first, the south aisle and its two-arch arcade following between roughly 1170 and 1200, as Norman building gave way to early Gothic. The early chancel arch still stands. So does the hagioscope, an opening cut through the wall so the aisle could see the altar during mass; it is larger than most, and no written record of it survives.
The present bell and bellcote date from 1794. Painted boards bearing the Creed, Lord’s Prayer and Commandments went up in 1832, and a sundial above the door in 1836. The restoration of 1878 gave the church its pews and seating for one hundred and fifty, at a cost of £500. A new vicarage followed in 1884, and the vestry and choir stalls in 1888.
The bishop’s transcripts name a line of incumbents from 1663, among them Richard Wilkinson, Richard Murthwaite, Anthony Sharpe and William Walker. In recent years the parish best remembers the Reverend Leslie Price, rector for thirty-one years and the amateur historian whose 2001 talks underpin much of what we know about the building. The living, a vicarage since the ordination of 1262, became a rectory again in 1921.
A Methodist chapel, now a house, still stands; it was in use by 1875, when Isabel Sanderson and Richard Simpson Watson became the first couple married there. Methodism ran strong in the nineteenth century, bound up with the temperance cause.
Today the church has few regular worshippers, and Sunday services rotate among the parishes of the benefice, but the village has shown no wish to see the old building sold. There’s an ambitious plan by an experienced committee to develop a heritage centre at St Mary’s.
The village keeps its Norse past alive in working form. The blacksmith and his partner have raised two longhouses and a forge at a centre called Moorforge. Schoolchildren visit to watch a smith work metal as it was a thousand years ago, and the place holds adult workshops and gatherings around traditional food, craft and folk music.
The green and churchyard remain the village’s shared ground, and a debate runs over how far to let the churchyard grow for wildlife. The village has drawn artists and makers, and it goes on changing. Sixteen new houses are rising at the west end on the site of a derelict farm, the latest chapter in a settlement that has rebuilt itself on the same ground for centuries.
The church is the parish’s oldest institution. The village’s first school, built in 1771 through a purvey, a one-off tax on the parishioners, served until 1971.
In 1986 the Charity Commission deemed the building a capital asset of the Gilcrux Church School Foundation and issued a 35-year lease. Fundraising followed. In 2005 the Village Hall Management Committee, the Tordiff Educational Foundation and the Gilcrux Church School Foundation merged as the Gilcrux Village Hall & Educational Trust, taking full responsibility for the building.
The clearest pattern in the records is that people stayed. Cross-check the Protestation Return of 1641–42 against the bishop’s transcripts of the following two centuries, and the same surnames hold their ground. Fearon, Smith, Younghusband, Hall, Carter… all sign the oath in 1641 and still fill the registers in the 1830s.
In the nineteenth century the railway and the pits widened the world. Men moved between farm and colliery and back again. Some went further. India, Canada and America drew parishioners in search of a better life, or took them in the line of duty.
The families most fully studied in this archive to date include the Bartons, Fearons, Halls, Martindales, Monkhouses, Sandersons, Smiths and Watsons.
Mark Sanderson was born in Cockermouth in 1835, the son of a widow recorded as a pauper. He served an apprenticeship as a smith on the Maryport and Carlisle Railway, then turned back to the land, taking Row Moor at Dearham, where typhoid took his eldest son. By 1881 he held the tenancy of Grange Farm under Sir Wilfrid Lawson’s estate. A fire destroyed much of his stock in 1887. By 1891 he had moved to The Retreat in the village, still farming at Grange with his two sons. The family moved to nearby Crosby, where Mark lost his wife Ann to tuberculosis in 1896. A Methodist and a temperance man, he ties the village to the wider Victorian story of farming, coal and railway. The family later moved to Suffolk, and later still farmed in Alresford, Hampshire. gilcruxarchive.co.uk and beelilyjones.substack.com tell his life at length, with the families bound to his, especially the Watsons.
The manor kept an older custom. When a landholder died without sons, a single female heir took the whole estate, the eldest in her degree, whether daughter, sister, or granddaughter. The rule runs through the Court Rolls from 1636, and some have argued it descends from the Norse settlers (Shore, 1906, pp. 153-154). It surfaced in a contested inheritance case as late as the 1870s (Cumbria Archive Centre, Whitehaven, DWM/304/3/16).
Donaldson, C. and Taylor, J. (2021) ‘From Skiddaw to Scruffell: sightlines over the Solway’, Studies in Scottish Literature, 47(1), pp. 29–39. Available at: https://scholarcommons.sc.edu/ssl/vol47/iss1/4/ (Date last accessed: 20 July 2026).
Wain, J. (2011) Cumbria Landscape Character Guidance and Toolkit. Part One: Landscape Character Guidance. Kendal: Cumbria County Council. Available at: https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/elibrary/content/internet/538/755/2789/406869467.pdf (Date last accessed: 20 July 2026).
Maryport Advertiser (1882) ‘West Cumberland Villages: Gilcrux’, 19 May, p. 7. British Newspaper Archive. Available at: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk (Date last accessed: 20 July 2026).
Protestation Returns for Gilcrux, Cumberland (1641-42) Parliamentary Archives, London, HL/PO/JO/10/1. Available at: Findmypast, https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/protestation-returns-1641-1642 (Date last accessed: 20 July 2026).
Gerry Martin Associates Ltd (2011) Archaeological evaluation at land adjacent to East Croft, Gilcrux. Unpublished report. Available at: https://www.cumbriaarchaeology.co.uk/projects/evaluations/gilcrux_archaeological_evaluation_report_a.pdf (Date last accessed: 20 July 2026).
Grampus Heritage and Training Ltd (2025) High Tarns Archaeology Project. Available at: https://www.grampusheritage.co.uk/projects/current-and-recent-archaeological-projects/ (Date last accessed: 20 July 2026).
Ordination of the vicarage of Gilcrux (1262) Cumbria Archive Centre, Carlisle, DMH/10/2/20.
Shore, T.W. (1906) Origin of the Anglo-Saxon Race. London: Elliot Stock.
Wilson, J. (ed.) (1915) The Register of the Priory of St Bees. Surtees Society, vol. 126. Durham: Andrews and Co.
Terrier of the parish of Gilcrux (1749) Unpublished manuscript. In the possession of the author; to be deposited at Cumbria Archive Centre, Carlisle.
Price, L. (2001) Unpublished talks on the history of Gilcrux, given by the Reverend Leslie Price.
ancestry.com
beelilyjones.substack.com
People of Medieval Scotland Database poms.ac.uk
The author of this work retains all rights and must be credited when the material is displayed or shared. Any use of the material for commercial purposes requires the written consent of the author, as does any use of a significant portion of the material for purposes other than individual private research.
By email:
info@one-place-studies.org
By post:
Society for One-Place Studies,
7 Edge Lane,
Rossendale,
Lancashire
BB4 7SS
United Kingdom
© The Society for One-Place Studies