|About the Study||“Whitley” is derived from the Saxon language “Ley” meaning “pasture” and “Whit” meaning white wood. White wood referring to Silver birch trees which were very common and abundant in this part of Cheshire at that time.
Whitley is mentioned in the Domesday Book and refers to it as a meadow, land under plough and a wood. Even before 1066, Whitley was comprised of two separate townships, one with a church and facing south (Lower Whitley), the other with a ancient school and more closely connected with the adjoining townships of Stretton and Antrobus (Higher Whitley).
The civil parish was created on 1 April 1936 based on Whitley Inferior and Whitley Superior, now known as Lower Whitley and Higher Whitley.
|Population||In 1841 the population was 547, today it is around 530.|