|Study Area||Westward and Boltons|
|About the Study||The parishes of Westward and Boltons lie just to the north of the Lake District National Park, where the Cumbrian hills meet the Solway Plain. The area is very rural, with scattered farms and hamlets, and is bounded to the north west by the A595 Carlisle to Whitehaven road.
Westward comprises the townships of Stoneraise, Brocklebank, Rosley and Woodside, with a parish church at Church Hill and a chapel in Rosley.
The area is predominantly agricultural, with limestone quarrying, lime burning and some coal mining. The nearest market town is Wigton, in the neighbouring parish of the same name, and the nearest village of any size is Caldbeck, just to the south.
Population in 1841: Westward 1,311 and Boltons 1,211;
Population in 1901: Westward 862 and Boltons 887