|About the Study||The place name Bramhope appears first in the Domesday Book as Bra(m)hop. Later medieval spellings include Bramhop(a) and Bramhop(p)e.
In 1086, Bramhope was the manor of an Anglo Saxon thegn Uchill. In 1095, the manor passed to the Percy family and then in 1165, was sold to Ralph de Bramhope. By the thirteenth century, much of the land was owned by the monasteries and the monks used the tracks now known as Scotland Lane and Staircase Lane.
1348/9 brought the Black Death and the number of adults in Bramhope was reduced to only thirty four. This gradually increased to around 400 in 1900.
Births, Marriages and Deaths are being extracted from the Otley Parish Records as there were no churches in the village until 1881. Some work has been done on those named on the Bramhope War Memorial.
|Population||Approximately 4,000 individuals in 2013|